Santiago Archdiocese new web page

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Sep 27 07:22:06 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
The Santiago Archdiocese inaugurated a new webpage a couple of days ago.
I think that it is very pretty. It opens with a lovely view of the Cathedral
viewed from the Obradoiro which is followed by the botafumeiro in motion, the
huggable image of the Apostle, and the tomb in the crypt.  However, this new
page might pose difficulties for those, mostly pilgrims, who do not read
Spanish.
At the conclusion of the introduction there is a little box, on the right,
that says "visite nuestro portal"  (Visit our Home page)  if you click there
you'll go to the next page which contains several menu boxes; there are two on
the right side: the one on the top titled "publicaciones" (publications) and
the one on the bottom titled "varios"  (various others),  in this box, third
from the bottom,  there is the "pagina de peregrinos"  (pilgrim's page); from
there you can  proceed in Spanish, French, Italian, German or English.
One of the new features of the Web Page is that a reader (called
"Internaut"in Spanish) may send a personal opinion.  -I've already wrote opining  that
access to the Pigrims' page should be highlighted somehow.
The new Web page has sparked a lively discussion in the Galician newspapers;
the Correo Gallego, citing the director of the national Banco Popular reported
that contributions to the Archdiocese could be made on line; this report
angered  the Archbishop who has heatedly denied it.
Of the thirteen Archdioceses in Spain three accept donations on-line:  those
of Sevilla,  Granada and Zaragoza.  One may make a donation  through Visa or
Mastercard or make a direct deposit electronically to the bank account of the
particular Archdiocese; these activities are guaranteed, and insured by the
Banco Popular which might be the reason why its director jumped the gun in regard
to the Santiago Archdiocese.
I, myself, don't see what's wrong with it.  Whenever I have purchased books
from the Archdiocese, or joined this or that
 activity, and have sent checks, the whole thing has cost me about 30% more.
My New York bank charges for the international transfer, and when my check is
cashed in Santiago the bank there charges the recipient for changing dollars
into Euros.
Being that the Santiago Cathedral has an international appeal and aura I
should think it desirable to deal with it on-line in this respect.  But, they must
have their reasons.
The address of the Web page is:
                                 www.archicompostela.org

Warm regards,