Almost - dealing with the unexpected

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 15 13:00:34 PDT 2003

Hi Doug and everyone else

I have just read your very honest account of what happened to you, getting
to Spain but having to turn around and go home again without starting the
Camino.  It is a remarkable email in fact, because I feel that not many
people would admit such an experience in public.

So, congratulations...for being decisive and turning around to go home, and
for writing about it.  Maybe I notice it because I can be quite an anxious
person and in fact my health is holding me back from being able to set out
on the Camino yet.

I wonder how many other people on the GOCAMINO list found your experience at
least partly resonating with theirs?  I think I have heard mention somewhere
before that at least some anxiety before the Camino can be quite strong.

I know that in your case, Doug, the transatlantic flight must have played a
big part and it makes me glad that at least I only have to hop over France
as I live in the UK.

However, from a spiritual point of view perhaps, the unexpected is certainly
a part of the meaning of our lives, yes?  It is the "joke" that is played
upon our minds, our ever-busy, ever-prepared minds, our careful plans and
our (natural) desire to get everything as right as we can.

Anyone want to comment on pre-Camino jitters?

Sally
Lancashire, UK