Holy Year numbers

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Sep 13 09:39:49 PDT 2003

Hi,
It seems that organized groups from associations, churches and societies,
from all over the world, have begun preparations for pilgrimages to Santiago next
year.
While I was there, I read in the Galician newspapers that a lottery-type
selection was already being used by the Archdiocese and the Xunta to allocate to
towns, churches, etc.  in Spain the days in which they should go.
Being that the Cathedral is small, and that, understandably, every pilgrim
will want to go in and hug the Apostle, this allocation makes sense.
The pilgrims' office near by is open now from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.  seven
days a week.  The people there commented that during last July and August
sometimes they had to remain open until midnight.  They mentioned the prospect of
keeping the office open 24 hours a day next summer.  That office, by the way,
is being extensively renovated. The ground floor will open into a patio that
will have places for pilgrims to rest, a small coffee shop, and bathrooms, so
that pilgrims may enjoy some comfort while they wait to go up to get their
Compostela or to find information re: albergues, transportation, assistance and so
on.
The backpack check-in  ("consigna") office, two doors down,  will be enlarged
and improved, but, as now, walking sticks will not be allowed to be left
there.
There are two new albergues in Santiago; while not as spacious and well
outfitted as the Monte de Gozo they are in-town, much, much closer to the Cathedral
and to everything else.
If there is something in particular that I may tell you, please let me know.
I've come back with so many Camino stories and so much enthusiasm for
Santiago that some friends and relatives are making plans to go there for
Thanksgiving.  While not enchanted by the prospect of traveling with companions that do
not speak Spanish, which necessitates my spending a great deal of the time
translating, I will probably go along. I'll then collect more timely information
about next year.
Warm regards,
Rosina