requests & news

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Sep 12 09:40:17 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
I am enjoying a couple of days at home, with my little Maltese dog, before
jumping into the professional frey next Monday, and can take care of a few
Camino-related things.
First, I have received and read your goodwill messages; they've made me very
happy. Simply,  I cannot thank you enough.
Secondly, while I was gone New York suffered a rather long-lasting black out;
while I, happily, missed it, it did create some  havoc in much of my
electronic equipment including, apparently, my computers.
Before I left for the Camino, and while I was there, some of you asked me to
locate some things for you, and to get some particular books and other
objects, which I did.  But the messages I'd saved with the names of those of you who
made the requests, as well as many other messages,  somehow have disappeared.
Please let me know who asked me for what and I shall send the things on.
I have a lot of key rings, from here and there, with specific pendants such
as little wooden backpacks from Roncesvalles,  rotating altars and papamoscas
from Burgos, Leon rosettas, the Portico de Gloria and the Apostle's tomb, lots
of bells, and others. Equally, the "18 voices" book, the "Pilgrim Picardias
book" the Museum of Leon cut-out books, and several others that I had in my
"ListServ"  list of  things to get.
Also, while in Santiago I attended some functions having to do with practical
aspects of the Camino. It is estimated that next year  more than 700,000
pilgrims will go over the Camino Frances.
Because of this, the Archdiocese, the Xunta, and indeed, the Spanish
government, are taking steps to encourage pilgrims to traverse pilgrimage routes to
Santiago other than the Camino Frances.
As part of this effort, the Deputation of A Coruna has funded various means
of disseminating knowledge about the other routes.  One of the steps already
begun is a website, ancillary to  the popular  vagamundos.net page
that will contain the diary of Carlos Olmo as he walks the other routes and
reports on them.
Carlos Olmo is not simply another Camino-srtruck pilgrim that opens a web
page. He has been "on the road" since 1976 and travelled, pilgrim-like, through
more than 100 countries.  A Galician, he is a frequent radio and TV commentator
as well as an author. Under the purview of the  Coruna Deputation he will
report on the other Camino routes on a web-page for such purpose.    The effort
has begun and the diary/report , that will have an English translation,  can be
read in the        caminoasantiago.com         page.

While in Santiago I met several piltrims that spoke glowingly about the
Portuguese Way and the English Way.   I had no idea!  (Albergues by the sea?)
I already knew about the wonders of the Via de la Plata, but did not know
that the others arer equally enticing.  In fact, I have already sort of made up
my mind to walk the Portuguese Way next year.

Again, than k you for your lovely messages.

Affectionate regards,
Rosina