Being courteous or obnoxious

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 6 10:49:37 PDT 2003

--- Eyskens <jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM> wrote:

> I never observed any such behavior when I walked in
> '01, and during my
> 'Hospitalero' stint last year the only instance was
> a group of
> Norwegians who sent a young girl 'scout' on ahead to
> reserve places at
> the Refugio

That`s a well-known fact of life on the modern Camino.
None of the albergues I knew took reservations, but I
guess there could be some hospitaleros who might not
want to keep arguing the point so pilgrims keep trying
it. I can well understand ...

In Fisterra last year the big thing appeared to be
pilgrims who bussed in from Santiago and then asked
for the Fisterrana. Most were more than courteous when
we explained that only walkers and cyclists could earn
it. But there were those few (I could count on one
hand) who demanded it because they had been pilgrims
to Santiago and had gotten the Compostela.

One Frenchwoman argued so strongly that she demanded
to see the head hospitalera, insisting to her that she
had walked all the way to Santiago, had earned the
Compostela and now, having bussed in to Finisterre
because she hadn`t had time to walk there, she was
absolutely entitled to the Fisterrana and was not
leaving without it!

Although the pilgrimage to Fisterra is considered to
be an extension of the one to Santiago (the same
Camino), the two certificates are unrelated.

Buen Camino!
Ana