Internet access; Leon and Portomarin

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Sep 4 08:58:15 PDT 2003

Hello Gaby and all,
The albergue in Leon seems less friendly than others, but it is more
centrally located than other big-city albergues. In fact, it is only a few blocks from
the Cathedral.  In the street going to the Cathedral (which is absolutely
gorgeous) from the albergue there is an Internet center. Although it is not a
cafe, and therefore free from loud music and so on, it is frequented by young
people who play games and smoke a lot.  The burning of your eyes because of the
smoke will run you out of the place quickly enough.
-As an occasional smoker  (still) I've never objected to people smoking, but
of late second hand smoke  does cause me a lot of physical discomfort,
particularly in my eyes and throat.  Could it be that out NYC bitty mayor Bloomberg,
with his draconian edicts of No Smoking Anywhere at No Time, has really done
us a big favor and cleaned up our air and our organs and organisms?-
The (very nice) albergue in Portomarin does not have computers, but close by,
under the portals, there is a coffe shop ("Cafe Espana", I think) that does
have coin-fed computers which are quite fast and efficient.
By the way, Portomarin has a new granite Santiago pilgrim statue in the
square in front of the church. The statue is roughly life-size and it is different
from most in  that his left arm and hand hold the staff while his right arm is
extended towards Santiago.
When I go back homeI'll ask someone to put some pictures here for those of
you who may  want to see them.
Warm regards,
Rosina