return to list

Tom Priestly tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA
Sun Oct 26 14:37:26 PST 2003

I am back in Canada now after 9 weeks in Europe, three of them on the
Camino francès. A *sincere* word of thanks to all who gave me advice
before I left for Europe, plus a similar acknowledgment to the Go
Camino archives. We (Klaus, my co-pilgrim from Austria and I) had
several problems and only walked 300 km, but none of the problems had
to do with practical matters (feet, equipment, and so on): I learned
all I needed before going.

I searched the archive for "cart" and found, from 9th October last,
"While I was walking this past June, a man with a push cart passed me
by as I sat eating an orange. I was informed later that there were
two older gentleman with push carts making their way through the
camino."
This may be a reference to Klaus and me. We had one cart between us
which we pulled from SJPP to Viana (first 10 days of September), and
which we could have pulled the whole way but for the problems alluded
to above. (Reason for having a cart: Klaus has shoulder problems).
The cart went through several modifications as we went, and we now
know a lot about (a) how to design a serviceable cart for walking the
Camino, (b) how to make sensible choices between the walkers' paths
and the cyclists' routes. Sometime this fall/winter I will write this
up and have the info available for anyone who wishes to walk but does
not wish to, or simply can not, carry a backpack.

A freelance videofilm maker from Brazil, making a film about pilgrims
for a Brazilian TV station, who had walked the Camino several times,
told us that she had heard about/seen one other cart-pulling pilgrim,
and that a few years ago. Any more sightings of pilgrims with carts,
please? I'd like to compare notes . . .

Thanks again!
Tom Priestly
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada