Xacobeo and Football and pilgrims of a lesser kind

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Thu Oct 9 06:32:01 PDT 2003

Fr. Gerry,

Being in the later part of my 50's and currently in good condition. I'm hoping that I still have enough miles remaining on my knees to walk the entire Camino in 2005 (we are after all human machines, and I have walked a lot in my life).  I would hope that when I do the Camino, I will look upon the people I encounter with gentle eyes, and assume that they are as sincere pilgrims as they can be, and that whatever or however they do the Camino, they will be transformed by it.  I think what kind of pilgrim you are is an internal matter.  No one can see into your heart better than you can yourself.  I encourage you to do whatever you can.  Whenever you decide to go, let us know.  Many of us will go with you in spirit!

Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: Rev. Gerald Fraser [mailto:mad.monkacomcast.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 10:12 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Xacobeo and Football and pilgrims of a lesser kind

Dear Pieter and all,

The very title of this thread implies some level of disdain for those who
do don't "tough it out" as as walkers with minimal physical compforts.
They are referred to as "pilgrims of a lesser kind".  This saddens me.  It
has been my hope for several years to make pilgrimage to Santiago in the
traditional way.  Unfortuantely, it appears that my health will no longer
allow that.  At first I thought it meant that I could not be a pilgrim,
that is, one on a spiritual journey to a place of spiritual meaning.  While
I most probably won't be able to travel the Camino in the preferred way, I
am in the process of redefining what the right way is for me; enduring my
own kind of hardships rather than the traditional ones.  I hope that
doesn't disqualify me, or make me a "lesser pilgrim".  That is, if God ever
grants me the grace to travel at all.

Regards,
Fr. Gerry Fraser