Xacobeo and Football and pilgrims of a lesser kind

R. James Disharoon, CDP jamesaDISHAROON.NET
Tue Oct 7 07:01:30 PDT 2003

Pieter,

Although I agree with the thrust of your comments, I would think that
you have restricted your definitions too narrowly. I just did part of
the Camino without staying in a single refugio (probably my loss).
Because my wife was along as a tourist, we stayed every night in one of
the nicer hotels in town. Furthermore, the 7 - 8:00 breakfast crowd
every morning were nearly all hikers/pilgrims. I know I saw a dozen of
the same folks every morning with their backpacks ready to hit the road
after spending the night in an upscale  hotel. In some cases, I think
the hotel emptied out with the backpackers. It was not a minimum budget
crowd. Additionally, we ate out every evening (with many other pilgrims)
and I know I was dropping five to ten euros a day along the trail for
tonicas/coffee, etc.

For me, this was a "trip of a lifetime," a long term dream. We spent a
great deal more than we would have spent at home for the same period of
time. I know there is the stereotype of the pilgrim who has taken a vow
of poverty and is nearly penniless (he has my admiration - I spent some
time walking with such a fellow). But I don't think the other pilgrims
can be ignored when considering the economic impact of the Road. Most of
those hiking along the road seem to be "well-heeled" and spending money
along the way. Seventy percent of the pilgrims are Spanish. I would
assume that they are buying their gear in Spain unless they are using
the internet. Most of the hikers that I observed were using
state-of-the-art (or close to it) equipment. Even with this discussion
group, we routinely talk about $200 rucksacks and $150 hiking boots.
None of us (that I am aware of) plan on doing the Camino with a burlap
bag tied to our staff for our stuff wearing flip-flops. Having a
religious motivation to do a pilgrimage hasn't generally required
assuming poverty for the duration.

Now that is not to say that I would also be concerned about the
commercialization of the Camino. Although it would be impossible to
identify a religious pilgrim from a recreational hiker, in my
conversations along the road in September, it would appear that
recreational hikers far outweighed the religious pilgrim in spite of
what the statistics state of those requesting compostelas.

Along the same vein, we also saw a dozen or so equestrians on the road.
My wife was intrigued by the idea. Any idea what is involved in doing
the Camino on horseback? I would assume that it is not a low budget item
either.

James