Camino too Easy

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Thu Nov 13 14:58:26 PST 2003

Many years ago an instructor at the school I attended, made a trip to India.  During this trip he heard of a pilgrimage to the top of a particular mountain (I'm sorry that I forgot the details).  Here he was this big strong American in a group of small, perhaps under nourished Indians about to undertake a very strenuous journey.  He recalled wondering how many of the others would actually be able to make it to the site near the top.  As time passed this big, strong guy had to frequently had to stop and rest, but the seemingly frail Indians slowly made their way unhesitatingly upwards.  When he finally reached the spiritual site, he asked one of the pilgrims how they were able to make it so much easier than he.  He was told that for the pilgrims every step was an act of devotion, an act fulfillment...and as a consequence they were renewed with every step.  For the bigger and stronger foreigner, the path from the bottom to the top was just an obstacle to overcome to reach a go!
 al.

There are other factors at work, in addition to the purely physical, in whatever we do.  An important component of whether we determine something to be easy or difficult is mental...a perception.

Glenn