Kilometers per day?

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Mon Nov 10 14:09:18 PST 2003

Need to be careful with those generalizations!  Perhaps pilgrims without time constraints can
manage the leisurely pace of 20 km per day.  (What would that be, about 40 days to walk from St
Jean to Santiago?)  Many, however, are simply not so fortunate.  Last January, my group averaged 28
km per day for 27 days in order to arrive in Santiago in the time we had.  Were we tired at the end
of the day?  Yes.  Was it madness?  Of course not; nor was it a race nor an endurance challenge.

And what, walking at anything more than a stroll makes it not a pilgrimage?  C'mon, let's get
beyond those arbitrary ideas of what a "real" pilgrimage is.  Just because *your* experience does
not coincide with *mine* does not invalidate either one!

Carlos