Pilgrim meals at the Reyes Catolicos Parador

Lydia Banales lydiaaBANALES.NET
Sat Nov 1 09:51:21 PST 2003

Perhaps it was pride that kept us from trying to get a free meal at the
beautiful Parador. When we arrived in Santiago we had planned to treat
ourselves to a night's stay. Two things changed our minds. First, it
looked like the 'haves' and the 'have nots'.  As the Pilgrims lined up
(in their best Camino finery) they were a stark contrast to the fancy
guests of the Parador. It looked more like royalty granting a boon to
the poor peasants. It didn't look like holspitality. And to only give
out 10 meals when there are hundreds of pilgrims - were we supposed to
race over and try to get in ahead of our companions of the road?  And
second, we had come to know some fellow pilgrims who were on very tight
budgets. We decided to find accommodations we could all afford in
Santiago and share a meal together.  We did stay in the Parador in
Ribadero on our way back to San Sebastian and it was great. But I'll
never look at the Reyes Catolicos Parador without thinking of my walking
companions. Lydia