Biking the Camino

Jen Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri May 30 16:56:23 PDT 2003

I picked up a brochure in Santiago concerning biking the Camino, written in
Galacian.  It recommends  15 stages from St. Jean to Santiago.

St Jean to Roncesvalles          26 km         difficulty = 7
Roncesvalles - Pamplona        48 km         difficulty = 5
Pamplona - Estella                    44 km           difficulty = 4
Estella - Logrono                       49 km        difficulty = 3
Logorono - Santo Domingo     49  km           difficulty = 5
Santo Domingo - Burgos            75 km     difficulty = 6
Burgos - Carrion de los Condes  86 km     difficulty = 5
Carrion - Sahagun                        39 km      difficulty = 1
Sahagun - Leon                              56 km     difficulty = 2
Leon - Astorga                               49 km     difficulty = 2
Astorga - Ponferrada                   54 km         difficulty = 6
Ponferrada - O Cebreiro             50 km         difficulty = 7
O Cebreiro - Sarria                     41 km      difficulty = 4
Sarria - Palas de Rei                  47 km          difficulty = 5
Palas de Rei - Santiago             69 km           difficulty = 4

A book we used extensively is "The Way of St. James, le Puy to Santiago -- A
Cyclist's Guide" by John Higginson, is available from the Confraternity of
St. James in England,  ISBN 1-85284-274-1, published by Cicerone Press,
breaks the trip from St. Jean into the following 18 stages:

St. Jean-Roncesvalles  34 km,
Roncesvalles - Pamplona  45 km,
Pamplona - Estella  45 km,
Estella - Viana  44 km,
Viana to Najera  40 km,
Najera to Santo Domingo  40 km,
Santo Domingo - Burgos 66 km,
Burgos - Castrojeriz 48 km,
Castrojeriz to Carion de los Condes  46 km,
Carrion - Sahagun  41 km,
Sahagun - Leon  67 km,
Leon - Astorga  44 km,
Astorga - Molinaseca  47 km,
Molinaseca - Villafranca del Bierzo  37 km,
Villafranca - O Cebreiro  32 km,
O Cebreiro - Sarria  48 km,
Sarria - Palas dde Rei  53 km,
Palas de Rei - Santiago 73 km.

Both seem to use the roads which parallel the walking route.   Higginson
recommends a detour between Sahagun and Mansilla de las Mulas and avoiding
the "Tree Lined Path" thru El Burgo Raneros.   We took the road parallel to
the path and had no trouble.   Parts are paved, parts are well compacted
dirt.  (Two years ago we took the boring detour on N 120 to N601 into
Mansilla.)

Across the meseta you may be able to cover more KM than listed, but going up
to the Iron Cross between Astorga and Molinaseca is crossing a pass at about
1300 meters.  O Cebreiro is 1300 meters and Poio 1335 meters.   The walking
path is very difficult on the way to O Cebreiro after La Faba.  You should
folllow the ancient N VI ( old National 6) to Pedrafita (1099 meters) and
then LU 634 for 5 km uphill to O Cebreiro.

Another word of caution, the albergues will accept bikers, but only very
late in the day if they still have a bed.  You may have to plan to spend a
little more money and stay in Hostals, Hospedaje's, Fondas or such.

A last work of caution, take extra brke pads, for both your front and rear
wheels.

      Bueno Camino
               jean seeler        jeandaveamindspring.com