[saintjames] sleeping outside

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Mon May 26 19:57:05 PDT 2003

Hi Athens,
If you change $100.00 US Dlls. at an exchange place you will get about 76
Euros, net; the exchanger's commission is not charged separately.
 If you withdraw 100 Euros at an ATM you will be charged between $124 and
$125 US Dlls.
With some care  you shouldn't have any problems using the ATMs. I made a
mistake inputting  my PIN number and was too quick to press the equivalent of
'enter ''; the machine did not give me a second chance even although the PIN
number was off only by a digit and it was the right card. The second card  was
lost because I inserted one card and used the PIN number of another; it
disappeared instantly.
Hopefully most ATM users are not as careless or absent-minded as I.
Since reading the new guide of the Via de la Plata published by the
Association of Friends in Sevilla, (with the help and collaboration of the Granada and
other Associations of Friends in al-Andalus), I have been absolutely
enchanted by the Via and am going to Sevilla for a few days on June 10 to find out
more about it and to realistically plan how much of it I can walk next August and
September.
Did you know that the Via de la Plata was the first route used by pilgrims to
Santiago?
Because of its nearness to the rest of Europe, the French Way eventually
became the most popular one  (it is also about 300 kms. shorter than the Via); but
that popularity has come at a cost: full albergues and frazzled pilgrims who
worry about securing a berth by 1:00 p.m., too much commercialization, etc.
Reportedly, pilgrims that walk the Via have no such worries and are treated by
the inhabitants of the regions that they cross with the hospitality and
friendliness of old.
Further, the Via crosses places and cities laden with history going back to
the Romans,  many of the cities were founded and built by some of the Ceasars
themselves and have been declared Patrimonies of Humanity.
When one remembers that Castille, per se, did not exist prior to 800 a.d.,
the historical significance and cultural wealth of some of the Via's cities is
monumental.
......-My work pressures have eased a little and within the next few days I
will post  a summary of what I have learned about the Via-
But for now, warm regards.
Rosina