pilgrimage blessing and pilgrim items

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Wed Mar 19 19:22:30 PST 2003

The blessing you refer to mentions the bag or pack that in some illustrations
of pilgrims we see slung around their shoulders, much akin to a shoulder bag,
the precursor of the backpack.
The blessing also has a section for the staff.

The gourd that one often sees depicted hanging from a hook on the walking
stick is the drinking gourd, the precursor of our water canteens. It does not
have a blessing.

The text of the blessing is found in the 12th-century LSJ [liber sancti
jacobi] in Book I (the liturgical collection) in the special and famous
"veneranda dies" [= "a day to be honored"] sermon for the Saint's December
30th feast day.

[By the way, Maryjane Dunn, Thomas Coffey, and I translated this sermon, the
opening letter to the entire LSj, and the LSJ Book 2 that contains the 22
miracles attributed to the saint, published by Italica Press, the same company
that published Melczer's translation of Book 5, the Guide.]

The 11th (or 12th) century Sarum Missal ( England) also has blessings for the
pilgri's flask, staff, and cross.

linda davidson
dgitlitzaaol.com