further than there, then back again

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Sun Mar 16 13:35:10 PST 2003

Martin,

I walked from SJPP to Santiago in 29 days. I had planned to have rest days
but each morning when I woke up, all I wanted to do was walk. Thanks to the
advise of a gifted pilgrim by the name of Dino the Greek, I often walked on
the side of the road or the part of the path that was uneven. Dino had
learned in the army that it is more natural for us to walk on uneven ground
because it allows the smaller muscles in the feet, knees and legs to be
utilized, thus reducing the strain on the large muscle groups. Initially I
thought I would twist my ankle or injure myself, but instead I became more
confident. He was so right about this....I can't stress it enough.

Also, I rested every 2 hours whether I felt like it or not. Sometimes it
would be a 10 minute rest, sometimes it was an hour. Once each day I took my
boots and socks off, (if it wasn't too cold) and then changed my socks. I
put a small amount of vaseline on my feet in the morning and when I changed
my socks. I wore liners and cotton sports socks. Because of all the training
I had been doing as a competitive rower, I needed to eat/snack every 2 hours
which timed perfectly with my walking breaks. Also, if I forgot to drink
water along the way, these breaks reminded me to hydrate.

At home I only had 5 weeks to prepare for the journey. I walked about 4
times a week for 5kms. Once I walked about 18kms to see if I could do it
with a backpack. Although I was in top physical shape I still had to adjust
to walking with weight on my back. For me this adjustment took place in the
first week of the Camino, not without pain.

Buen Camino,

Sue

Floral Park, Canada