The Naked Pilgrim

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Thu Jun 26 00:38:00 PDT 2003

Wow! that was well picked up!

Unfortunately Channel 5 reception is variable throughout the UK, I live close to continental Europe and the signal is turned down so as not to interfer with French and Belgian TV so, although I intend to tape the programme, the image cannot be guaranteed especially with the fine weather we are experiencing at present.

It should be a good series with Brian Sewell presenting, a witty and urbane art critic and journalist with the most extraordinary English accent that makes the Queen sound quite 'common'.

There is, as always, a difference in standards for DVD/video.  Europe is in Zone 2 for DVD (USA is Zone 1) although multi-version players are available.  With video it gets worse as the US standard (NTSC?) is different to the UK's VHS PAL which, in turn, is different to the French version of PAL. I note, however, that a Spanish video I have of the Camino does work in the UK.

I'm not sure if C5 will issue on either medium as they don't have the output of, say, the BBC.

Perhaps we can ask? You can make contact via email on: dutyofficeafive.tv

Buen Camino

Jeffrey

PS, E.O. it's OK to call me Jeffrey :o)

-----Original Message-----
From: E. O. Pederson [mailto:eldorpaHOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: 25 June 2003 17:00
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: questions on return from Santiago

Washington, DC
There is an interesting website on the forthcoming television show discussed by Mr. Crawley: http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,7493,980153,00.html

Does anyone know if UK Channel 5 routinely makes its programs available on DVD or Video in the same fashion as PBS does here in the US? If so, how would one go about obtaining the DVD/Video?  Also what format do they use as many US DVD players and video recorders cannot read the formats common in Europe?
Thnaks