Toilet facilities - a final flush?

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Wed Jun 25 01:12:50 PDT 2003

Hi there,

no need to be coy about a perfectly natural function, as Maura says urine is quite useful to farmers - the Chinese used to call it Mao's golden fertilizer - just make sure you wash the grapes.

North Americans especially are easily shocked by what appears to them as the lax standards of Europeans - it is not unusual to see a man relieving himself in the bushes or even in a back alley in towns. Quite a few toilets are co-ed - men are often surprised when a lady comes out of the "gents" because the ladies is busy.

The dirtiest place I saw was the west side of the crest after Pamplona - Perdon I think it's called where the sculptures and windmills are, with a fairly exposed climb up it seemed everybody had the same idea when they saw the bushes on the descent!

No matter how shy you are DON'T SKIMP ON THE FLUIDS!! I saw an article recently that recommended 30ml per kilogram (about 1/2 fl oz per pound) of body weight per day. Weigh yourself and then fill up empty soda bottles and you'll be amazed how much you SHOULD be drinking each day.

As a basic guide check the colour of your urine - a pale lemon colour is what we are aiming at, anything darker means you should be drinking more.

A friend got caught out relieving himself in an, apparantly, deserted area when a lady popped up from behind a bush and, looking down at him said (in what he reported to be a charming French accent) "dark yellow pee is God's way of telling us to drink more water!" - he was more curious as to how she knew he was anglophone!

Caffeine drinks: coffee, tea, colas are diuretics and drain you of liquid, fruits like oranges and grapes top you up.

Ladies especially, don't be afraid of a demure side trip into the bushes, you'll soon get used to it.  I walked into Santiago with a charming young German girl who had been suffering from a bladder infection (and blessed the cover of eucalyptus woods) for some time. As we entered the square in front of the cathedral she gripped my arm and said: "Jeffrey, what shall I do?  No bushes!!" - and I used to wonder why the poncho was so favoured by German girls!!

Anyone care to open up a discussion on the relative merits of piercing/not piercing blisters?

kind regards

Jeffrey