olveiroa-muxia-fisterra

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 24 03:51:13 PDT 2003

For variety I leftthe other Fisterra-bound peregrinos behind at Hospital and followed the route to Muxia.   It is fairly well signed in the direction
toward Muxia but I think it might be tough in the other direction.
Muxia is a pleasant seaside resort with nice beaches that look pretty clean though they are still working on the oil removal - a man explained that volunteers, soldiers, and commercial outfits were all involved.

There is a sports center in Muxia that supposedly may be used by peregrinos, but I arrived late on Saturday when the likely offices were closed and instead stayed at the La Cruz hostal mentioned in the CSJ guide.   Unfortunately the sanctuary of Nosa Senora da Barca was closed while I was there.     There was some other festival involving
flowers and greens spread across the road that had happened earlier in
the day (Sat Jun 21) and there was a concert that night in the harbor
involving a local eclectic electronic group.

The next day I went on to Fisterra, a pretty route that is equally easy
to follow in both directions except for a certain plateau area that is
equally confusing in both directions.   You have to wade Rio Castro
however if you follow the marked route.    There are no food sources whatever between Muxia and Fisterra on this route.

Its about 25-30 km each day and effectively adds one day to the
Santiago-Fisterra pilgrimage.    I didn´t see any other pilgrims during
these two days and enjoyed the foggy Eucalyptus, so much like home.

In Fisterra the same festival was going on on Sunday!    No sunset in

the ocean for me though - too foggy.

David Hough