New to the list: Some Queries

Rebekah Scott rebritesaYAHOO.COM
Wed Jun 18 07:43:55 PDT 2003

I believe a recommendation letter is needed only if you're getting your "passport" from a less-than travelled source. One Dutch priest friend used his (written in Latin!) to win accommodations one rainy night at the monastery in Leyre, something most of us laypeople wouldn't consider, seeing as there's at least one pension in town. (He said he'd rather have stayed at the pension, after all!)

The only other time Ive heard of anyone making use of a third-party testimonial was on the Via de la Plata, the alternative camino that comes up from southern Spain. When my friend's daughter joined her on the Way in a small city, the priest there made the Mom vouch for the daughter's spiritual motivations. He even made a special note on the daughter's credencial saying he made a thorough examination of the situation before granting the passport!

It's interesting how some still take the pilgrimage aspect very seriously.
Ultreya
Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, journalista
'The more I learn, the less I know.'