New to the list: Some Queries

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Wed Jun 18 01:27:01 PDT 2003

Hi Dave,

Sleeping systems are an often and much debated topic and you might like to browse the archive.

Some of the mattress you will sleep on have, how should I say? quite a history :o)

Certainly when the CSJ replaced 80% of their mattresses and bunks last year they also bought thick mattress covers and the sheets are changed regularly but this is more to protect the bed from the pilgrim rather than the other way around.

If you're starting in mid Sept (from SJPP?) you'll be in Santiago by late October, a lightweight sleeping bag or one of the many fleece bags available would be a good idea - the German supermarket chain Lidl was selling these zip sided fleece bags for just $7 last week: soft, warm and light - I'll still be taking my silk liner too though. You might also want to take a pillow slip or use your sleeping bag stuff sack as one as most of the refugios either don't have pillows (so use your clothes) or they are in a similarly distressed condition as the mattresses.

I think a credencial at SJPP cost 40 francs a couple of years ago ($6???). The CSJ sell them at Rabanal for just 50 (Euro)cents!

Have often heard of people getting a letter from their priest/bishop/church but never met anybody who did - a Camino myth or just no longer a requiremant any more? As Lydia says there is a form you fill in at Roncesvalles and I think you have to choose between religious, spiritual, tourist and other for the reason you are walking.  At the other end in Santiago I'm fairly certain sure that anything other than 'religious' will get you the alternate certificate rather than the Compostela - anyone care to confrim?

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Lydia Banales [mailto:lydiaaBANALES.NET]
Sent: 18 June 2003 05:26
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: New to the list: Some Queries

blankets in each refugio? Not! The refugio at Roncesvalle required sleeping bags last Oct.
Letter of recommendation not needed at St. Jean Pied de Port. You will be asked some questions about your motivation for walking the Camino. Lydia

Dave Buchan wrote:

Hi, My names Dave, and I will be walking the Camino starting September 16th or 17th. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate a response to. Do I need to take a sleeping bag or just a liner. I have been told by one pilgrim, refugios provided blankets for his whole trip (May last year), but have read that this is not the case.Enlightenment needed! I have also read a recommendation letter helps in gaining the passport. What are others' experience on this matter. Thanks for the help.

Dave.