2002 pilgrims by month and country

Riccardo Bellini bellini.raPG.COM
Mon Jun 16 05:57:06 PDT 2003

Ciao Rosina,

I got your message just now as i was out for some days...doing the Cammino.
Would you mind reposting the poem another time? you would really make me happy!
Riccardo

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      rockypoint.uri.edu
 [131.128.1.58]

From: Rosina Lila <BlaroliaAOL.COM> on 06/14/2003 09:34 PM GMT

             Rosina Lila           To:   GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
       <BlaroliaAOL.COM>           Cc:    (bcc: Ricardo Bellini-R/PGI)
                           Subject:      Re: 2002 pilgrims by month and
                                country
     06/14/2003 11:34 PM
  Please respond to Road
  to Santiago Pilgrimage
 <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>

Hello you all,
The May, 2003, edition of "The Compostela" magazine published by the Santiago
Archdiocese contains more detailed data  regarding the number, per month, and
the country of provenance of the 68,999 pilgrims that received the Compostela
in 2002. These data are:
        Pilgrims in January, 150; in February 200; in March 1,605; in April
2,453; in May 5,238; in June 8,277; in July 16,323; in August 20,644; in
September 8,822; in October 3,909; in November 969 and in December 409.
       From outside of Spain, 23,264 pilgrims hailed from other European
countries; 123 from Africa; 206 from Asia; 469 from Oceania and 4,303 from
America
(1,582 from the United States, 989 from Brasil, 898 from Canada, 246 from
Mexico, 150 from Argentina, 109 from Colombia and the rest from other 14
American
countries, including 11 from Cuba)
       The largest number of non-Spaniard Europeans came from Germany, 5087,
followed by 4,891 from France, 3,337 from Italy, 1,442 from next-door
Portugal, 1,134 from Holland, 1,114 from Belgium,  1,095 from Austria and the
rest
from other 32 countries.
       Pilgrims came from 14 African countries  with the largest number, 92,
hailing from South Africa.
       Of the 17 Asian countries listed, the largest number of pilgrims, 112,
came from Japan, followed by 31 from Israel, 17 from North Korea,  and 12
from the Philippines; the rest included, among others,  4 from Iran and 1 from
Palestine.
       367 of pilgrims from Oceania came from Australia, 99 from New Zealand,
2 from Indonesia and 1 from Seychelles.

The magazine also contains the very beautiful "Pilgrim Beatitudes" poem which
was published to great acclaim last July.  (When I first read the poem last
year it occurred to me that it encapsulated and expressed, in poem form, the
very sentiments that I have  read, repeatedly, in this list-serv in messages
from pilgrims and would-be pilgrims over the months and years). If anyone in
this
list is interested, I will post the poem and attempt to translate it.
       The magazine also contains the drawing for the bronze frieze of  the
door which will be the new  Puerta Santa.  The drawing has been approved by the
powers that be at the Archdiocese, and it is being sculpted  in Germany by
the artist and sculptor Bert Gerresheim.  (If I can find someone to scan the
drawing I'll make it available later; it is interesting and, to me, a bit
strange).
       A testimonial from a 60 year-old Swiss pilgrim who arrived in
Santiago last January is also published in the magazine. She left Lausanne,
alone,
WITHOUT ANY MONEY, and writes about the kindness of strangers that fed and
housed her throughout and the effect of such human concern on her spirit.
(Again,
if you are interested, I'll translate and post her testimonial).
       Lastly, the Santiago Chamber of Commerce has announced that it will
sponsor an "ongoing" (?) cycle of Camino Medieval music next year as part of the
Holy Xacobean year commemorations.
Warm regards,
Rosina