Visa, MC and ATM's

Reynolds, Laurie LREYNOLDaLAW.UIUC.EDU
Mon Jun 9 11:09:19 PDT 2003

As many will attest, there is no shortage of ATMs on the Camino.  Visa is
accepted in many places, even in small towns, but we always made a point of
having a bit of cash on hand.  I also tried to make sure that I only used
ATMs that were connected to banks and, more importantly, that the banks were
open when I used it.  I once was able to retrieve a card in Madrid when it
wouldn't come out of the machine, but only because I followed those two
points.  Wishing you a wonderful camino, Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen Redmond [mailto:redmmaMVSCHOOL.COM]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 12:10 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Visa, MC and ATM's

If this is a duplicate message, I apologize.  I tried earlier, but didn't
get a copy so I figured I did something wrong.

I am wondering how accepted Visa and MasterCard are on the Camino.  Can they
be used in hotels and restaurants?  In small towns?

I read the comments about ATM's and am worried that my card will be lost in
a machine.  Are people relying on ATM's, or taking cash or traveler's
checks?  What do you do if your card is lost?

I leave in a week, and I am filled with emotion.  I will find my companions
on the way.

Thank you all for your comments on this list-serve; you have been very
helpful.

Peace,
Maureen