Walking staffs

Lindsay & David lobstertrapaMIDMAINE.COM
Mon Jun 9 06:06:13 PDT 2003

Dear all,

We (four of us from Maine) are walking the Camino in October, Burgos to
Santiago. We are now gathering our gear.

It has been mentioned that the walking staff is an essential component. Is
it ceremonial and emblematic or, in fact, useful? I have done a fair amount
of walking in my day, and never seemed to need a staff.

IF a staff is a must, what would you recommend? How tall, of what wood,
decorated or plain? One of my companions will celebrate a birthday in July,
and I would like to make/find him a staff.

Thanks for your help.

David Loxterkamp