about Canadian Websites, Francophones, and a lesson in quoting others...

Remi & Jen remjenaTELUS.NET
Thu Jun 5 20:28:32 PDT 2003

OK now...
I must apologize to the listserv members, as well to the Association
québécoise des pèlerins et amis du Chemin Saint-Jacques, for poor judgement
in not indicating that the text of the message I posted last night were NOT
MY WORDS.
The original message is quoted in full, below my little rant.

I am fluently bilingual, born in Québec, learned to speak English at age 10
when my family moved to Calgary in English Canada where I now work in a
bilingual environment (I deal with a national client base which includes all
of Québec, so about 30% of my work is in French), have a french name like
Rémi, carry Canadian and European Community passports from my French
(France) parents, but have a Québec birth certificate, etc etc etc, I choose
not to live with any of the biases of 'Sovereign Quebec', or 'Eastern
Canada', or the 'redneck provinces' or whatever english-french bias people
chose to have about cultures others than theirs.  Being called 'french-frog'
as a kid going to french school in Montreal, and then by different (but
same) immature kids going to school in Calgary, hasn't really left any
emotional scars.

... Like water off a duck's back.

I was simply trying to help by adding the urls of the two websites that E.O.
Pederson said he did not have in his post:
Canadian Little Company of Pilgrims.
http://www.santiago.ca/
Associatíon québécoise des pèlerins et amis du Chemin Saint-Jacques.
http://www.duquebecacompostelle.org/

So apologies to all; lesson learned about quoting others; and the two posts
were back to back only 40 minutes apart to GOCAMINO, so feel free to direct
questions about the language used in the post below to the author (who's
posts I enjoy reading and usually look forward to).

b.t.w. I'm leaving in 6 days to go and finish the Camino from Léon, where my
girlfriend left off 1 1/2 years ago after spraining her ankle.  Bring on the
Sunshine!!!

Remi

BEGIN QUOTE