Transporting Bikes in Spain

Jen Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Tue Jun 3 16:52:51 PDT 2003

 From what we understand, bikes are not welcome on trains in Spain, unless
they are boxed or you make arranements ahead of time.   I saw a poster in
the RENFE station in Santiago concerning shippng bikes but did not read it
carefully.

We met a number of pilgrims on bikes who had put them on busses at various
points in Spain and along the Camino.   Some of the bus drivers charged
extra, others wanted the bikes packaged in bubble wrap, others just put the
bikes down in the luggage compartment.

We had  new cheap bikes, bought in a large discount store in the the USA,
which we brought to Spain in their original cartons (they were manufactured
in China).  The US airlines require bikes to be in boxes and accept them as
one of our allowance of two pieces of luggage.  We figured we could not go
very fast carrying our stuff in panniers and also lugging sleeping bags so
we were not concerned about speed.   Besides, we live in Florida were there
are no hills.    When we got to Finisterre we gave our bikes to two kids.
No hassle getting them home and two happy chicos in Finisterre.

    jean seeler   jeandaveamindspring.com