September pilgrims.

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Tue Jun 3 06:33:18 PDT 2003

And that bar is ALL there is in San Juan!  I remember the menu too: tortilla, cheese tortilla, ham tortilla, sausage tortilla, tortilla sandwich, cheese tortilla sandwich, ham tortilla sandwich, sausage tortilla sandwich, and plato combinado which consisted of three different types of sausage, a slice of pork loin and a fried egg . . . you might wish to buy food along the way (especially if vegetarian) although the refugio does do early morning coffee.

I aimed to be there on the 22nd (my birthday) but missed by two days.

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Rebekah Scott [mailto:rebritesaYAHOO.COM]
Sent: 02 June 2003 22:38
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: September pilgrims.

Rosina's right. That church is a gem; it's worth bringing along a little spyglass so you can more clearly see the capitals. It also has a fabulous Souls in Purgatory, methinks! (You'll be glad you have one, too, at Santo Domingo de la Calzada, and Fromista, and Roncesvalles, and Santiago!)

One other item not to miss at San Juan de Orbigo is the morcilla sausage served at the little bar integral to the monastery/refugio. It's right up there with the morcilla served at La El Bicha in Leon...I think it may even be better! It's not an architectural wonder like the church next door, but it's a delight all its own...especially with a cold glass of San Miguel cerveza. (when you get to Burgos, have a big platter of champignons planchada!)

Stomach growling
Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, journalista
'The more I learn, the less I know.'