Biking the Camino

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Sun Jun 1 09:36:01 PDT 2003

I have  bicycled the Camino twice, once from Roncesvalles and another time
from Jaca. I have done so alone and without knowledge of Spanish except for the
most rudimentary phrases.
I have never, not once, witnessed any incident of "grannies" (whatever such
term may mean to convey) acting in a manner remotely similar to that related in
the message. Quite the contrary, during the long pilgrimages I have really
been surrounded by the friendliness and warmth of strangers, particularly that
of so many middle-aged Spanish pilgrims who proffered their help, in a language
that I do not speak, and their food and wine when I stopped to rest here and
there.
The only acts of boorish behavior that I witnessed came, sad to say, from
fellow foreign pilgrims.
I am getting ready to go on my third pilgrimage, eagerly anticipating the
kindness of such strangers as those Spanish ladies in the Camino with their food
and wine, and the middle-age Galician shepherd women offering me cups of fresh
milk.
Liz