Pack Weight

Tania taniaraGOLDEN.NET
Tue Jul 29 07:13:20 PDT 2003

Hello all,

With the subject of boots in topic, it got me thinking about the weight of
one's pack?

I have heard varying things from people who have hiked long distances, the one
thing that stuck in my mind has been "that your pack should weigh no more than
10-15% of your body weight?"  Is it personal preference?  or does it depend on
what kind of shape you are in?  the boots you are using? etc. What type of
packs have you used and found to be the most comfortable?

I currently hike with no more than 10% of my body weight in my pack and lately
have increased that slightly when walking to work (40 mins) to see how it
feels.  I guess I am also curious if anyone has done any "training" with their
packs on?  Last year a friend who hiked the West Coast Trail in BC dragged me
along with her to our local "ski hill" and we did reps up and down with and
without packs.  It definately improved my running and prepared her for the
trail.

Thanks very much in advance for your responses,
Tania