boots

Mary Bolster BelizemcbaAOL.COM
Mon Jul 28 14:48:21 PDT 2003

I'm going to begin the Camino in late September, and am beginning to gather
my gear. I have never hiked anything close to this distance although I'm a
runner and in good shape.
My question to all of you is about boots. I tried on several types of boots.
The most comfortable was a lightweight hiker that was well ventilated but not
Gortex. I hesitated to buy it for two reasons: 1) it is below the ankle, and
while I'm not worried about support, I haven't carried 25# w/ a lightweight
low, boot; 2) it isn't waterproof, although the material wicks, and will dry
quickly. It is, by the way, the lightest weight of any boot I tried.  The
"competition" is a hightop, Gortex boot that has a lot of support--but feels
constrictive consequently. So, it will keep out the rain, and protect my ankles, but
seems stiff.
I'm interested in feedback from those of you who have walked the
trail--especially those who are familiar w/ the walk in Fall.
Thanks, Mary Catherine