another world at O Cebreiro, another world at Taize, in many languages

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 25 07:49:51 PDT 2003

> Greetings from O Cebreiro where the fog in the early
> morning forms  a beauty
> that must come from another world.  Or does it?

O Cebreiro is an amazing place - just before I left
on my camino I read about Sue Kenney's miracle at
O Cebreiro - anybody who missed it can find it at
http://www.suekenney.ca/mycamino.htm

And it was the home of the very remarkable Don Elias,
just one more person I never met.
But is it really from another world?
I started my camino at Taize and, if you can't go
there, I can't too
enthusiastically recommend the 12 minute prayer
audio excerpt which you can find at
http://www.taize.fr/shared/mussamp.htm
The scripture reading is very relevant to the
foregoing comments!

 Gott ist nur Liebe
 Wagt, fur die Liebe alles zu geben
 Gott ist nur Liebe
 Gebt euch ohne Furcht

My greatest spiritual moment on the camino was before
I'd really started walking, when we sang this chant
at Taize during ecumenical communion.   The feeling
 came back
again from time to time when my companions would
sing the Ubi Caritas in close harmony in various
churches along the way, for the last
time in Santiago right after pilgrim mass.   I also
sang this, as best I could, for Felisa's daughter:

 Ubi caritas, et amor
 Ubi caritas, Deus ibi est

Nobody could doubt the value of learning many
languages after singing at Taize - although
translations are available of most of the chants into
many languages, they always seem to have one that fits
them best.

 Latin: Ubi Caritas
 French: Jesus le Christ
 German: Gott is nur Liebe
 Castelllano: Nada te turbe
 English: Jesus remember me, and for Cruz de Ferro:
        Oh Lord hear my prayer

For SF Bay area people, there are large Taize prayers
at Mercy Center on the first Friday at 8:00pm:

http://www.mercy-center.org/taizefriday.html