security

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Wed Jul 23 10:50:59 PDT 2003

I didn't encounter any of this in two months in France
and Spain, but it undoubtedly does happen from time
to time there, as well as at home.   It helps to be
able to travel in pairs or groups
so the packs are never alone.

It also helps to carry an extra atm card and credit
card and some cash
(different cards for different accounts, not just
duplicates of the
ones in your wallet), along with your passport
in a money belt of some kind
that is always on your person.   This is a nuisance
taking a shower, of course, in the many albergues that
don't provide any kind of hook for hanging up clothes.
But you can hope they won't get your money belt and
your wallet at the same time.

My money belt was actually a little pouch hanging from
my neck, lying on my chest.    I had to launder it
two or three times when it got too aromatic.

--- Kerrie Littlejohn <kerrielittlejohnaHOTMAIL.COM>