Camino.

Ignacio Franc és ignaciofrancesaTELEFONICA.NET
Mon Jul 21 23:20:10 PDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:17:10 -0700, Todd OKeefe <toddokeefeaYAHOO.COM>
wrote:

>My name is Todd O'keefe, next year i will begin the adventure of walking
the "Camino'.   I'm very excited, as I hope to have a "Shirleyesque" type
experience.  Could someone please point me in the direction of a good
book, on the initial planning of this trip.  Or, if you have this
information at hand, send it on to me.  An example of the info I'm looking
for Plane fare (open ended tickets?)......Best times to hike.....Camping
gear...Are dogs a problem....violence/crime...... I would very much
appreciate any information.  Thankyou Todd O'keefe.  Anything you think
would help a first timer!

If you start reading "Camino tips for fist-timers" by Richard Ferguson
many of your questions will find an answer. It's not a book, but a common-
sense masterpiece sent to this list on July the 12th.

Camino Literature is something you do not have to take so seriously. Those
books are a mix of reality and fiction. I have not read Shirley's book but
I do have read Paulo Cohello's "The pilgrim" and know that many people
take it seriously and believe they are going to experiment the same Camino
experience described in that book. A friend of mine who serves
as "hospitalero" in several "Albergues" told me of a couple of brasilian
girls asking him in Estella at which exact point of their next stage they
were going to meet the devil.

Furthermore, the Camino is a personal experience and there are not two
identical experiences as there are not two identical persons.

About violence/crime, I will just point out that in my country it is not
allowed to own guns except for law officers. There are more people shot
death cause in any mayor city in the states in one day than in Spain in
the whole year. In any case, if you want to know more about the Camino and
Spain do not read the New York Times !

Buen Camino
Ignacio