18 voices in the Camino; Martin Sheen

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Sun Jul 13 19:59:32 PDT 2003

One of our writers, Maribel, arrived in Santiago last month  on a Thursday,
June 5, in the late afternoon after walking from Sarria.  The next morning she
went to the Cathedral around 9:30 to admire its art treasures and to wait for
the Pilgrims Mass.
As she was studying the details of the Portico de la Gloria she found herself
shoulder to shoulder with Martin Sheen. She tells us that she smiled at him
happily surprised and blurted out "You are Martin Sheen", and he told her
smiling" I'm just another pilgrim today".
Maribel recounts that he was alone,  wearing simple jeans and a tee shirt and
without sun glasses or any of the accruements of movie stars.  She recalls
that he remained in the Cathedral until the Pilgrims Mass and that while quite a
few people recognized him and shook his hand no one seemed to ask him  to
pose for photographs or to write autographs.
After Mass he went out of the Cathedral with the throng of worshipers....
just another pilgrim.
Liz