Camino OIKOTEN

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Fri Jul 11 18:40:53 PDT 2003

A few people have asserted  that one of the wonders of the Camino is its
historical, and ongoing, function as a medium of human communication.
The last few messages posted indeed reaffirm this.
My youngest brother was a very troublesome and, surely, troubled, teenager
with more energy than our parents, or his schools, knew how to channel
effectively.  In a fit of impulsive frustration he  joined the U.S. Navy in our
hometown of Savannah, Georgia, and was shortly sent to faraway places. We hardly saw
him for years.
When his Navy service was over, he came home  a very thoughtful and changed
young man. He told us that the long hours of solitude, the forced companionship
of his ship mates, and the freedom from common temptations and  from peer and
popular culture pressures, as well as the rigors of the  unavoidable physical
labors,  had eventually led him to look into himself for the answers to the
life questions and urges that had so tormented him.
That seems to me akin to a Camino experience.
My kid brother now practices medicine in poverty centers throughout Georgia
and, fascinated by my endless recounting of my Camino pilgrimages,  plans to
bicycle the Camino next year with his bride.
Elizabeth Boylston-Morris