Camino OIKOTEN

gretchen gonzalez gonzamiller2aHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 11 10:26:22 PDT 2003

I remember back in July of 1969 while attending the Voyageur Outward Bound,
one of the girls in our brigade - Terry- had been offered the choice of jail
or taking the month long course. Initially she was quite uncooperative,
always complaining, keeping to herself, etc.
As the days and weeks went by and we all got to know each other well she
told us her story. Her gang had been involved in the death of an opposing
gang member. They had tied this person to some train tracks with the intent
to scare and intimidate. A train appeared and they couldn't get her untied
in time. Terry was one of the gang leaders but still a minor thus she was
given this choice - jail or Outward Bound. I've often wondered what happened
to her. I know that during those last few days in the Boundary Waters of
northern Minnesota - she was anxious about returning to her life back on the
east coast.
My  OB experience was one that made a life time impression - like the
Camino. Lessons learned during that month so many years ago have helped me
in many of life's situations. I hoped they helped Terry.
I'll be on El Camino next April 2004
All the best
Gretchen in Detroit