A curiosity

Ignacio Franc és ignaciofrancesaTELEFONICA.NET
Tue Jul 8 23:09:31 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:44:35 -0600, Tom Priestly <tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA>
wrote:

>You may imagine my surprise and anticipation, as I walked, to be
>transported aurally to the Fisterra-Santiago road; and my annoyance
>when I guessed that I was being short-changed. This looks like being
>one Camino reference to be tucked away in a corner of the archives.
>Using these locales, with their actual connotations, for descriptions
>of mayhem and bloodshed is of course unfortunate, but there is so
>much of these elements throughout the book that it would be
>inconsistent if or hero did NOT make harrowing escapes in these
>places.

This feeling of being short-changed is a very good description of my
own reaction to the so-much praised NY Times article on the Camino. I did
not make any comment at the time for I did not know how to express my
annoyance, but it is filled up with mistakes, errors and cultural
misunderstandings.

Buen Camino
Ignacio