afterdreams/coming down after the high

Caldwell, Emily ecaldwellaBCANET.ORG
Wed Jul 2 06:49:24 PDT 2003

I'm glad someone brought this up.  I wasn't sure what was going on.  Just about every night since I've left the camino I wake up and feel like I am waking up in an albergue, not having any clue where I am.  I think you are right, in that in the morning at about 10am I feel guilty that I hadn't put in at least 12 km.  I'm still waiting for the return of my luggage (that the airlines lost) and I'm sure if my backpack was with me... I would have the urge to put it on in the morning before my cafe con leche.  I do feel like once you do the camino something captures you and it does call out to you.

-----Original Message-----
From: Crawley, Jeffrey [mailto:jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 4:03 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: afterdreams/coming down after the high

That and looking around for your rucksack everytime you get up to go somewhere.

This is probably psycho-babble but it may have something to do with not wanting such a life changing experience to end.

I noticed even the speed walkers were slowing down to a snail's pace the last few days.

Most poignant of all though, was on the bus heading east from Santiago on the way home.

We were three perigrinos on the bus, myself and a young French couple. As we were going through San Martin (west of Leon) there were a string of pilrims heading in the 'right' direction. We cheered them and waved and all the other passengers must have thought we were crazy.

But we were in a little glass box, being transported after five weeks on foot and back in the 'World', the pilgrims couldn't hear us.

We were no longer on the Way.

Jeffrey