Americans on the Camino

G. Hammond charttableaCOX.NET
Tue Jan 28 05:09:12 PST 2003

Good for you Mary. It is always disconcerting to meet someone who stereotypes you and then judges you based on that stereotype. Prejudice in any form is wrong.
Good Luck on the Camino.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary Kay Hines
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:31 AM
  Subject: Americans on the Camino

  My friend and I will be walking the Camino this May and June and I must admit all this talk about Americans and anti-America is a bit disconcerning.  Most people walking the Camino have their own personal reasons for doing so.  Politics should not be part of it.  I lived in Ireland for seven years and I must admit that many times I crossed the street to avoid Americans (I am an American).  Sad to say, we always feel we are right and they are wrong, but so the saying goes "there are many ways to skin a cat" and I learned this living in another country.  Our way is not necessarily right, and neither is theirs.  Each side has many pluses and if it works for them that is all that matters.  We visit another country to partake of their culture and if we open our minds and hearts, we can learn alot. I certainly did.  My father was an uneducated coal miner in West Virginia, but he had a great respect for individuals and he passed this on to my sister and me.  We should be judged for ourselves, not our race, religion, country or political beliefs.  I hope to walk the Camino  and to just experience the Camino.
  Mary Kay