Anti-American sentiment

Maura Santangelo maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM
Mon Jan 27 06:21:28 PST 2003

The Camino is a good opportunity to walk for peace, to reflect on the
suffering of millions of people who live through wars not of their
making.  It could be a time to connect with all that suffering and
aggression that causes it and see how we might be able to alleviate it,
starting with ourselves.   It is an opportunity to realize how we are
part of the problem and not blame it on the OTHER, whoever that might be
at the moment.

Europeans and other non American Westerners, yes even those with red
maple leaves on their packs, are equally responsible for the consumption
of oil and other resources of the rest of the world.  It is convenient
to hide behind America and its policies, but I do not see Europeans
giving up the comforts of consumption any more than their American
counterparts.  I do not see any less racism,  aggression and self
serving colonial attitudes and policies in Europe than I see when I live
on this side of the Atlantic.  What I do see is exculpation by
projection of over 500 years of colonial policies of European nations
onto "America".  It might be well to remember that the faith which
created the camino in the middle ages later created the wholesale
slaughter of millions of Native Americans, who are still suffering from
the repercussions.

Maura Santangelo
A European, I divide my time between NY and Umbria, and can see the
frustration of both sides (I don't like American culture in Italy, but
then I figure no one is imposing it on us except us)