Drinking water & camping in the mountains

Michael P. Barham mpb5aDUKE.EDU
Sat Jan 11 06:32:22 PST 2003

I agree....
Either way is going to be difficult, but start early, take your time and enjoy the inferno.... purgatorio and paradiso follow!

peace,
Michael B

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lydia Banales
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 8:47 PM
  Subject: Re: Drinking water & camping in the mountains

  I have to protest, because I am one of those unlikely people who made it. Besides being on the upper end of middle aged, over weight and out of shape, I had injured my knee the week before we were to walk. We took the "low" route because it was supposed to be easier and shorter. It was a little shorter, but there was nothing easy about the second half of it. The exertion was incredible. The best part is that we could walk it in two nearly even segments with an overnight in the town of Valcarlos in a very clean small hotel. I do want to walk the high route once to see the vistas. We mainly saw the two sides of an ever-narrowing valley. When we got to the Ibaneta Pass, I wanted to bend down and kiss the ground like the Pope! Either way, you will arrive in Roncesvalle a seasoned Pilgrim. Buen Camino. Lydia

  David planning Le Chemin de St Jacques/El Camino de Santiago wrote:

I will be starting from Saint Jean Pied Du Port.  It looks like the first refugio is in Roncavalles, 27 km away.  That seems like too much to take on for my first day

I believe there is an intermediate village on the French side you could
use to reduce the distance.   Also there is a choice of routes - high or low -
and you could take the lower route to reduce the exertion.     Having said
that, some pretty unlikely people seem to have made it, with some considerable
pain in some cases.