Internet Cafes

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Tue Jan 7 15:48:18 PST 2003

Paul,

After struggling with the keyboards in France, I was very relieved to
find only minor problems with the keyboards in Spain. As I remember, on
a French keyboard, it was necessary to use the shift to get the numbers
(a was lower case), but the biggest problem was that two major sets of
keys were switched. One set was A and Q and the other set was M and
something else - I forget what now. The keys had the characters on them,
so I looked  at the keyboard most of the time. This worked  for a while,
although I was very slow at it. The climax came when I was working at
what I thought was a regular French keyboard (in Oloron), at least the
keys where labelled that way. However, when I typed out my password to
get my e-mail, I was informed that it was invalid. I couldn't read the
password because it was in the usual bullets, but when I went back the
third time to re-entering may name to start over again, in frustration,
I typed what I thought would be an expletive, but it had a Q in place of
an A. Then I realized that, although the keyboard had the French
labelling, it was wired like an American keyboard. After that, I let my
fingers do the typing and ignored the labels. Then it worked properly.

regards,

Bob Spenger