What to bring and what not to

dandekay dandekayaSBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Jan 7 06:24:58 PST 2003

Plenty enough of phones with phone cards cheap and easily available.  Unless you have to be in touch with the President (or someone critically important to your or the world's security)  don't bother bringing a phone.  The Camino is for being with yourself and God, not conducting business as usual.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: D & M Matthews
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 2:57 PM
  Subject: Re: What to bring and what not to

  Dare I raise this question when so many are obviously given to much higher considerations?

  What is the phone system like along the Camino?
  Are there plenty of public phones?
  Do they allow direct dialling to overseas?
  Can they be operated using prepaid cards?

  I have considered carrying a mobile GSM phone. Is the network coverage adequate?
  I do not assume coverage. My mobile is quite useless in my own home here.

  But how would I recharge the battery? Are there power outlets in the refugios? Do men use electric shavers?

  What voltage is used? I am told that Spain uses 220 and 110 in various places.

  Denis Matthews
  Fraser Rd., Dunoon, 2480
  NSW, Australia
  Phone +61 2 6689 5261