small dress points and biggish question

Barry Sloan bksinspainaITOTAL.NET
Sun Jan 5 22:34:01 PST 2003

I'll weigh in here on how I got to the 12 lbs.

On my first Camino I had my pack down to 20 lbs and thought I was doing
well.  On my second Camino my pack weight was down to 12 lbs.  I learned
what to leave behind.  I use a small pack, it is about the size of a daypack
and weighs a little over 1 lb.  Nylon zip-off leg pants by Travel Smith,
another pair of nylon shorts, thermal long sleeve polypropylene shirt, two
pair Travel Smith undies, two cotton tee-shirts and two pair socks all
together weighed another three lbs.  My sleeping bag and poncho weighed
around 2 1/2 lbs.  I photocopied the Camino guide from the Lonely Planet
"Walking in Spain" book and used the back of the photocopies as my journal.
A pair of Tevas for lounging around in, toiletries, small hand towel and
flashlight rounded out my load and weighed another 2 1/2 lbs.  I carried a
water bladder inside my pack and carried around 1 1/2 liters of water
maximum.  This brought my total weight in at around 12 lbs.  I was walking
in July and did not need a jacket.  It was a little chilly leaving Cebreiro
at 5 am.  But I warmed up quickly as I walked.

I love Linda's book, and brought it on my first Camino, but left it behind
on my second.  It is very informative and was borrowed by everyone.  A good
choice if you are considering bringing it.  I just wish it was smaller and
lighter.  If you know any Spanish at all you will not need a dictionary.

Buen Camino

Barry