Internet Cafes

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sun Jan 5 17:48:02 PST 2003

all over the place - ask at the tourist offices in the cities. In the
small towns check with the hospitalero/as. One warning: Many people
haven't the foggiest idea what they are - and that is probably true here
in the U.S. as well. In Villafranca, the clerk at the TO. had given me
misleading directions for finding the cybercafe -  wrong street marked
on the map. As I was wandering around the area, looking for a possible
sign, a well dressed lady in her 50s or 60s saw me wandering around with
a pack and assumed that I was looking for the camino and tried to direct
me there. I tried to tell her, in my hopelessly inadequate Spanish, that
I was looking for a cybercafe and mentioned the name that I had been
given. The only part that rang a bell was the cafe part, so she switched
to trying to direct me to a cafe. I tried internet access, using
European vowel sounds, but she said that she spoke only Spanish. Then I
mumbled something about "correo electronico," but this brought on
directions for the Post Office (in Portugal, that might have been O.K.,
since the P.O.s there often have internet access computers.) About this
time, I spotted the name that I had been given and awkwardly thanked her
as I ducked into the doorway. Once I got inside there was no problem.
They really did have a computer and the bartender knew exactly what I
needed. The lady probably still thinks that the crazy old man with the
lousy Spanish was just looking for a place to get a drink.

Bob Spenger