No subject

Bruce McLean b_mcleanaTELUSPLANET.NET
Sun Jan 5 12:49:00 PST 2003

Walked the Camino May and June 02
Essentials:
        Walking Stick, Path from Roncesvalles to Pamplona can be very
"slick" in wet weather, to quote Dr. Johnson regarding walking
        "two legs are good three is better four is best.  Get collapsible
type with Camera mount on top this makes a good substitute for a
        tripod which will be needed if you wish to take pictures in many
places,  .
        Light small automatic camera, I used a Pentax Espio 135, while you
will need ASA 800 film with this type of camera the weight saving
        is worth the small extra cost.
        Good well fitted, well broken in boots. Legions of stories about
using athletic shoes and trainers, consensus on Camino  Boots, you could be
        walking in mud and in one place a small stream.  Any reputable sport
boot supplier will allow you to take boots on approval as long as you
        don't use them outdoors; I did 25 miles on a treadmill with mine
before I was satisfied with the fit, and a total of over 100 miles to break
        the boots in properly. If you have a history of "sore" feet it may
be worth while to consult an orthoticist regarding a custom "foot bed".
        Three sets of walking socks, one set on your feet, one set drying on
your pack and one dry pair in your pack. I emphasize sets, a pair of heavy
        (Thorlo Backpacking are good) and a pair of light to "wick" the
perspiration away from your skin.  Be fanatical about clean socks, a good
crop
        of blisters appear on even experienced walkers who don't obey this
"commandment".
        Take the time beforehand to learn a little about the art and
architecture along the route. I found "The Pilgrimage Road To Santiago by
Gitlitz and
        Davidson" very useful reading.  (You will note I am sure that I am
trying to "butter up" the owner of this list.  Always a good policy.  :-)  )

        The "Pilgrims Guides to Spain The Camino Francés" from the
Confraternity of Saint James is the "bible" for accommodation on the Camino.

Non Essential
        Excessive planning,  at the outset give yourself a generous measure
of time for the walk, then "go with the flow" if the opportunity arises to
step
        off of the beaten path take it.