Crucifix in the Camino-Jeffrey

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Feb 28 17:57:03 PST 2003

Jeffrey,
I wonder if you and I have the same Crucifix in mind.
Yes,... it is in that town just before Melide, in a tiny church on the right
side of the road, as the road is about to bend leftward,  with three or four
old stone steps leading up to the door. But the Christ on that Crucifix is
neither dead nor being taken down.  It is Christ on the Cross, looking down
with infinite love and compassion to whoever need His help and extending His
arm downward in reply to the human need at the foot of the Cross.... No pain
in the image whatever, just infinite love.
Didn't I send you a copy of the photographs about a year ago?
In another church in  the area there is a Crucifix with Christ, dead, being
taken down from the Cross by two men who have slipped a white sheet beneath
the arms of the corpse to lower it from the Cross, but that is a different
Crucifix.
I was told by the young French priest who was caring for the Church, in a
volunteer basis when he could do so, that pilgrims leave messages before the
Crucifix. In the pictures I have a poster-size message was left by some
Brazilians in Portuguese which said "Father, take us in your hands".
(This translation doesn't really translate.... the word "Pai", which appears
in the message, in Brazilian Portuguese  is sort-of like a combined "dad" and
"Pa". I just don't know how to convey it in English)
Fondest regards,
Rosina