What is a Reasonable Budget for the Camino?

Jean Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri Feb 28 17:34:04 PST 2003

I second the notion not to carry a lot of cash.  If you plan to stay regularly or occasionally at a hostal/hotel/parador, most all take VISA.  Many peregrinos end up walking with a group traveling at the same pace and often share a meal at the refugio or albergue.    Someone will buy the bread, another the pasta, another something to put on the pasta, another olives, another cheese, another wine.

There are restaurants in every town which offer a "menu del dia" which consists of a 1st plate (usually a choice of a large interesting salad, or a pasta dish or home-made soup) a 2nd plate of French frys and mystery meat or stew, bread, postre  (dessert or ice cream, flan or a piece of fruit) and a beverage, a choice of 1/2 litre of mineral water, a tiny cup of espresso or wine, as much as you want, all for under $10 per person.    Two years ago, when I ordered ["pink" wine and my husband ordered red, two open bottles (sometimes with labels, sometimes without) were placed on the table.   We drank all we wanted.

A "hostal" in Spain is a level or accommodation below that of a hotel.  A refugio or albergue is more analogous to what we in the USA think of as a youth hostel.   Hostals are rated with stars.  The Paradors, which many times are converted historical buildings, can be very expensive, both for meals and rooms.   When were were staying in a convent in Santo Domingo de la Casada we met a woman who was able to access the internet thru computers located in the Posada.
     jean    jeandaveamindspring.com