consensus: Least inspiring segments

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Thu Feb 27 04:39:23 PST 2003

Helen, unless you are anxious for the wide open spaces you can cut a chunk
out of the Meseta.

I walked it and felt like I was walking on a travelator going backwards.
You DO get wide open vistas of course but there's precious little cover from
the element in places.

A friend who had to "jump" caught a bus from Fromista to Palencia then a
train from Palencia to Leon and stayed in the International Youth Hostel
near the Civil Guard barracks (you get honourary membership with your
credencial, they don't have a 9.00 curfew but do have a huge bathroom with
washing machines she told me) as she was informed that the staff at the
convent disapproved of pilgrims who hadn't walked to Leon.

I returned over more or less the same route by international coach and
couldn't believe how tedious this stage is.

In May 2002 she walked it again and did the whole of the Meseta this time as
she thought she'd cheated. She now admits she wished she hadn't have
bothered.

There's nowhere else I'd want to miss though.

Jeffrey