Spain in the Middle Ages

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Wed Feb 26 10:34:43 PST 2003

  Barbara Hueter wrote:

  If you are interested in learning more about the Muslim conquest and subsequent reconquest of Spain,  I recommend you read
  The Ornament of the World; How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal.....

  This is a good book, but, in my opinion, an even better study of the cultural, political and social forces that contributed to the so called "ethnic cleansing" issue raised earlier, can be found in Thomas F. Glick's, Islamic and Christian Spain in the Early Middle Ages (Comparative Perspectives on Social and Cultural Formation). Unfortunately, it is out of print (I first read it years ago) but can be found online at http://libro.uca.edu/ics/emspain.htm.

  Gene Silva
  ejsilvaaswbell.net